Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Taking Facebook to the Grave

It's not morbid to consider how you'll be remembered when you're dead or to whom you'll leave what. But this parceling out of our estate is more complicated than ever: who gets our virtual remains?

I know I've thought about it. More regarding my Gmail account than anything else, but the same goes for my Facebook, MySpace, PayPal, eBay accounts. If my obit be posted on my Facebook page, who's responsible for posting it? You've thought about it too, right? Maybe not quite in the same way, but you have.

It matters who knows what secrets my digital world holds. The emails I saved. The back-and-forth re-hashing of relationships with exs. The continuing conversations with those you swear you have no contact. Email expedience of secrets you promised to keep or the venting you do behind your partner's back.

The Pay Pal transfers, purchases or secret accounts. That stuff is private.

I'd feel more violated if my text messages or emails were read than if my "snail mail" were opened. For those of us under thirty emdash; hell under 40 emdash: our essential communications take place online. And if we want to preserve our reputation after death, we must take some precautions to make sure we tie up our digital loose ends.

Well, worry no more: Legacy Locker will keep your passwords safely vaulted and only release them to the person named by you, in the event of your death. The digital equivalent to a safety deposit box.

0 comments: