Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Google's Quest for World Domination

Talk about creepy, as if we didn't have enough options for staying "connected" to one another. Google's Latitude allows you to expose yourself to your contacts, via a tracking mechanism downloaded to your phone, and track your contacts' every move.

This new "tool" only further increases the anxiety I feel whenever I venture out into the schlepping masses. I want to avoid people when I go out and this device might make that easier to do, providing me the location of those I want to avoid. However, the tool relies on the presumption of mutual transparency -- you share with me and I share with you. But it can complicate my efforts if I'm avoiding you but you know where I am.

I could set my location manually, so it looks like I'm at the movies when I'm really at the dinner you weren't invited to. My boyfriend could set his location to the gym or stuck in traffic, while he's really at the bar or still at work. The idea that we can double check someone's whereabouts is complete nonsense if the location pin-pointer is completely discretionary.

What's going to happen if people begin sharing their whereabouts on Facebook or via Twitter? Could the police subpoena records of locations tracked by the device? Google still knows your "real-time" whereabouts, regardless of the location you reveal to your contacts.

I understand the advantages of this tool for Google, but I don't see the advantages for users. The only thing Google Latitude will get you is ads targeted to your location and uninvited encounters with contacts you made no plans to see.

0 comments: