Thursday, October 9, 2008

Blue Angles and more

The Blue Angles swooping by disturb my writing and I am upset. Yet when I think a second more I realize my life, even jobless, is easy. My city isn't plagued by violence, at least not of the sort with IEDs or shoulder fired missiles.

Leaving the Mission last night after the Progressive Reading Series I walked to 24th and Valencia. I'll admit I was uncomfortable, not scared but awkward and displaced. I felt like I'd invaded a neighborhood without winning hearts and minds. If only it were so small an invasion. I found my way out without trouble. In fact, several folks were quite helpful. People, as individuals, are much more amiable then generalized mobs. Just look at the debate Tuesday. The mud-slinging and direct, malicious and misleading attacks were toned down to temperate, lukewarm tolerance.

I'll avoid a diatribe on tolerance, for now.

0 comments: